Legal Counsel (f/m/d)
At Upvest, we are building the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. Our vision is to create a world in which any asset can be owned and traded digitally by anyone, anywhere. Our bold long-term view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs Notion Capital, Partech and HV Capital. Today, we count 28 talented people from 14 different countries and we want to keep expanding our team of Upvengers.
As Legal Counsel, you’ll support us in setting up and maintaining our regulatory banking structure, drafting and managing all banking and commercial contracts, and regularly making sure we keep in line with the legal side of things. You’ll report directly to our CFO Tobias Auferoth , but will also be working closely with the rest of the management team as well as the compliance and risk teams.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Draft and manage all banking and commercial contracts (including custodianship and trading contracts)
- Make sure we maintain a regulatory setup compliant with the Capital Markets Law
- Coordinate external legal advisors
- Regularly observe new regulatory requirements (ESMA, BaFin, Bundesbank etc.) and conduct impact analysis
- Assist in other legal aspects (fundraising docs, legal due diligence, employment & agency agreements etc.)
- Join us as the first in-house legal hire, willing to potentially hire and lead a legal team in the future
- Fully qualified lawyer in German law (Second Staatsexamen) with excellent academic record
- 7+ years of relevant working experience, ideally within a top tier law firm
- Strong knowledge of Capital Markets Law (Fachanwalt für Bank- und Kapitalmarktrecht)
- English and German fluency (both written and spoken)
- Prior work experience in a securities trading bank is a strong plus
- Exciting opportunity to build the future of digital securities!
- A young, dynamic and fast-growing startup with flat hierarchies and open communication
- As we strongly believe in personal development, we offer private coaching sessions and educational budget
- A modern office in the heart of Berlin Mitte, a brand-new Mac, flexible working hours, option of working from home, regular off-site events, free drinks/snacks and many more...
- We measure our performance with the help of OKRs and love to celebrate our successes
- A relocation package with visa support
Think Fearlessly, Act Fast: We embrace the accelerated pace and ambiguity of building a business on the frontier. We take risks and look forward.
Be Street Smart: We are always tuned in to what is going on. With ourselves, our team, our users and the market.
Step Up, Stand Together: Every individual is prepared to speak up for what they believe in and stand together as a team to deliver the result, even when the going gets tough.
Low Egos, High Expectations: Although we take our work seriously, we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We have hunger and humility in equal measure.
If you want to build the financial infrastructure of tomorrow, a new challenge awaits you!